Pages

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

post surgery update | can't keep that Steve down!

[lastNIGHT]
After surgery yesterday evening Steve was moved to another room in the
ICU. There, he was kept a close eye on - monitoring all his levels and
making sure all that was done stayed that way after the surgery. He
was kept asleep until this morning.

We were able to see our dad for the first time around 715pm last
night. Only several hours after the surgery. They only allowed 1
visitor at a time due to the abundance of nurses and staff still
working on him.


Small portion of my point of view at 715pm | Ryan Kuenkel
I was sitting in the waiting room on the 5th floor that consists ofabout 15 chairs and one small table in the middle of the room. 
All of us have found our spots to sit and call home for that night. I madesure I found the spot closest to the outlet to charge my phone. 
Yes I'm selfish. 

I look over and see my mom anxiously waiting trying tostay calm in her chair while Donna sits quietly by her side. I knowall my mom wants to do it go see her husband. I look around and seeour whole family waiting. Well almost everyone. Alisa just landed atCVG airport traveling from Africa and Jayme(my wife) along withDanielle(Jamison's wife) went to go pick her up and bring her to thehospital to meet up with the family.

They announced we are now able to send one visitor to his room. My momjumped up and walked down the hallway to the door and pushed thesilver button to speak to the secretary to allow her to enter. I couldonly imagine what might be going through her mind.


While waiting for the girls to get back from the airport and for mymom to return from seeing my dad, I sit there and I truly don't recallwhat coincided during those minutes but I look up and see my mom. 

then see Jamison and Roanna run to my mom. I soon follow.Red eyed and tears running down her face she sits and cries and wesurround her. She stumbles out a few words as she explains what shejust experienced. 

We were shocked.

She said that My dad opened his eye and looked at her and mouthedsoftly that he loves her as he squeezed her hand. I'm sure that isexactly what my mom needed to hear and I'm sure my mom was the firstperson my dad wanted to see.


There is more to share of all the little things God is doing to givestrength to our family. All of the doctors and nurses have been greatto my dad.



[thi
sMORNING]
This morning they noticed he needed more blood and the doctors ordered
for a blood transfusion. Steve was awake at that point to give the
nurse the approval for the procedure. His coloring already looks a lot
better.

Because of the trach, it is uncomfortable for him to talk so he is
using a dry erase board to communicate. But we will count that as a
win!!
He said most of his pain was from the back of his shoulder where they
took muscle and skin.

All of the nurses are saying he is doing so well and that most people
are not trying to talk and sit in a chair only 16 hours after surgery.

Continue to pray for him in his recovery and pain.

Pray for strength and peace for Sandy.
And for the rest of the family.

All of the love and support from all our family and friends has simply
been incredible.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for taking the time to share the news and the journey. You are all still in our prayers and in the Father's hands. Love and continued prayers to all - The Jungs

    ReplyDelete
  2. We continue to pray for your dad and family....thank you for the encouraging comments...again tell your mom she and your dad are in our hearts...we send our love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so special you guys! Can't keep that Steve down indeed!!

    ReplyDelete